I literally cannot get enough bananas lately. I know I’ll burn out on them eventually but it’s a 2-a-day situation around here and I’m not even mad. Usually I’ll mix up some pretty basic oats and slice up a banana on top to eat at my desk… but this weekend I was feeling more gourmet, so I present to you *drumroll please* Bananas Foster oatmeal, TWO ways. That’s right, two. A stovetop version for those slow-starting days with time to lounge and savor breakfast, and an overnight edition for busier times. So let’s go!
STOVETOP BANANAS FOSTER OATMEAL
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1/4 cup pecans or nut of choice
- Bring milk and water to a boil over medium heat. Add oats and reduce to low.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes, until most of liquid is absorbed. Mixture should be very thick.
- Stir in salt. Remove oats from heat and set aside.
- Melt butter over medium-high heat in a saucepan. When melted and bubbling, add brown sugar, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
- Stir until sugar is melted and bubbling.
- Add bananas and nuts. Stir well to coat. Remove from heat.
- Divide oats into bowls and top with banana mixture.
OVERNIGHT BANANAS FOSTER OATS
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- 2 tbsp walnuts or nuts of choice
- Mix together oats, almond milk, brown sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract, and chia seeds in an airtight container of choice. Leave in refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, stir in Greek yogurt and top with banana and nuts.
Easy. Simple. And you probably already have the ingredients on hand. So mix up some stovetop oats this morning and some overnight oats tonight to get you through the week, and thank me later!